Watt & Well developed an expertise and a product range fitting drilling tool constraints, especially for directional drilling tools, MWD (measurement while drilling) and LWD (logging while drilling).
We design and produce electronics for the downhole harsh environment, considering the high-level of shocks and vibrations, high temperatures and restrictive form factor.
Our products cover many functions required drilling tools:
- High-voltage DC power supplies: AC/DC power converter to regulate the internal HVDC bus from mud powered turbines or the DC/DC power converter to regulate internal HVDC bus from non-regulated source.
- Low-voltage DC power supplies (house-keeping power supply): DC/DC power converter to manage the internal LVDC bus mainly from HVDC bus.
- Back-up power supply management: Ensures an uninterrupted LV power supply, switching to back-up mode by powering the LVDC bus from super-cap or battery in order to keep logging and measurement modules alive, including during mud flow interruptions.
- Telemetry mud pulse modulation based on a motor control system, it allows data transmission from downhole to surface to improve drilling efficiency and safety.
- Motion control motor controller to orient the drill bit (position control), to drive the mud pulse modulation actuator or to manage the generator active rectification. Our motor controllers are designed to meet the drilling tool motion needs.
- Tool control central processing unit to master the various sub-systems of the tool, to log the drilling data, and to communicate with the surface.
Wireline tools are powered from the surface by a high voltage DC bus. The depth of the well requires a significant wire length which introduces an undesired impedance between the surface power supply and the tool input.
We design power electronics to work with wide and non-regulated input voltage to be compatible with downhole voltage range and fluctuations.
Our products cover many functions required by the wireline tools:
- High-voltage DC power supplies: DC/DC power converter to regulate the tool HVDC bus from the wire voltage, which has a high-capability of line rejection.
- Low-voltage DC power supplies: DC/DC power converter to regulate the tool LVDC bus from the HVDC bus or the wire voltage.
- Telemetry: data modulation across the power supply cable. Two modem boards are required, one downhole and one at the surface.
- Motion control: motor controller to drive a ball screw actuator, to control a pump or to manage the motion of a tractor. Our motor controllers are designed to be easily used for a wide range of applications.
- Tool control: central processing unit to master the various sub-systems of the tool, to log the job data, and to communicate with the surface.